Saturday, November 19, 2016

Stigma at Work

Those that suffer from mental illness, who don't have a job can be challenging.

When looking for work, and trying to explain to a potential employer about your personal situation can be very difficult. Some won't hire a person with mental illness even if fully qualified for the job. Why?

We have good days and bad days just like anyone else. When I was 18 years old, my cousin got me a job with her working at a local pizza place in town. I had to explain to this lady that with my anxiety there were certain things I couldn't do. Thankfully she was very understanding, and only gave me work I could handle. If I had to run out for 5 minutes of fresh air, that was okay.

Now, I'm nearly 26 years old and finding a job that would understand my situation and my illness is impossible. It seems nobody wants a qualified worker just because they have a mental illness. Stigma at its finest.

I would give it my all to stop the stigma of mental illness in the work place. If these employers can't hire someone because of it, they aren't worthy enough to have you. You are far better then that.

Keep your head held high, and let's bring down the stigma, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment